You may feel embarrassed about farting during sex, but this is completely normal. In fact, it happens to many people, both men and women.
Digestion does not stop during intercourse. When you last ate, what you ate, and when you last had a bowel movement can all affect when you have to fart.
Why Do People Fart During Sex?
In women, farting can also be caused by the gliding motion of the penis inside the vagina. This movement causes pressure on the anus, which is against the wall of the vagina.
Sometimes pockets of gas form in the anus and escape during sex. Farting can happen in almost any position and at any time during sex.
Some people find that farting during sex is more common during orgasm, when tense muscles in the body suddenly relax. It may release gas.
Does Being Pregnant Make You More Likely To Fart During Sex?
Farting during sex is more likely for pregnant women.
All of the hormonal changes that occur during pregnancy can cause a lot of gas in the body. Specifically, your body will have higher than normal levels of progesterone. This hormone relaxes your muscles and slows digestion, leading to more gas.
You may also find that you experience nausea during pregnancy. This can affect your eating and bowel habits, sometimes leading to more gas. Keeping nausea under control can help relieve some of your gas during sex.
How To Stop Farting During Sex
Farting during sex is usually not a cause for concern, especially if it happens infrequently. However, if you are farting frequently during sex, make an appointment with your doctor. They can check for physical problems that may be causing you to fart during sex.
If there is no physical cause for excess gas, there are some lifestyle changes you can make to help prevent it from happening:
- Try using over-the-counter anti-gas medications. They work by preventing gas and breaking up gas bubbles if they form in your digestive tract.
- Have a bowel movement before sex.
- Reduce the amount of carbonated drinks and hard-to-digest foods in your diet. They often result in large amounts of gas, bloating, and bloating.
- Eat smaller portions of foods, especially foods that cause gas.
- When you eat, eat more slowly to help reduce the amount of wind.
- Avoid chewing gum, sucking on hard candy, and drinking through a straw. These are all things that can increase the amount of gas in your body.
- Make sure your teeth fit properly. An ill-fitting denture can cause you to swallow excess air while eating and drinking, causing gas.
- Avoid smoking. Smoking can increase the amount of air and gas produced in your body.
- Exercise regularly to help move gas through your digestive tract.
Is Vaginal Gas Normal?
During sex, farts aren’t the only type of gas passed. Women are also prone to passing gas through the vagina – which some people call “cafing”. Vaginal gas is very common.
The vagina is not just a straight tube. It has many wrinkles and folds called rugae. These areas can trap gas. These gas pockets are usually released when the vaginal muscles completely relax after a woman reaches orgasm. It may just sound like a fart, but it comes from the vagina.
Sometimes it can also happen during exercise when the vaginal muscles are tight, such as running or crunching.
Social norms may make you feel like you should be embarrassed about it — but you shouldn’t be! This is a completely natural body function. If you feel uncomfortable, talk to your partner about it. Or you can just laugh it off.